DIY: Magnetic Chalkboard


This magnetic chalkboard was the last DIY project that I needed to tackle for my kitchen to be complete, I promise a full tour very soon in the near future. I wasn’t intending on posting this DIY, but a reader asked for one so here it is! This space used to be occupied by an ugly whiteboard calendar that you can see here, it served us well for many years, but it was time to move onward. It just didn’t really mesh with the rest of the kitchen decor.



I saw an idea on another blog to make a magnetic organizational board, but I thought to myself I want to be able to write notes and/or grocery reminders somewhere, so I decided to make it more functional by making into a chalkboard. I almost bit the bullet and made the entire wall into a chalkboard space by painting it, but if we ever move one day, I don’t want that to affect the resale value. Not sure it would, but I am a planner so I think ahead. I loved the idea of a gold frame and absolutely adore the way the black pops with the frame. This was so much easier than I thought it would be and I am seriously in love with it.



The only problem I saw when I finished was that I didn’t have any cute magnets to use on the board, a quick Google search and I came up with the idea of some fabric covered magnets. Don’t worry that tutorial is included below as well. To replace the calendar, I ordered a small 2013 desk calendar from this Etsy shop, I pretty much rely on my Google calendar nowadays. I can’t wait to write little love notes with my chalk pen and use this board to organize invitations and pictures in the future.




Supplies:


For the magnetic chalkboard:
thin metal from Lowe’s, I got a 24?x24? piece
chalkboard spray paint
frame of your choice, mine is an 18?x 24? that I got at AC Moore on sale
tin snips for cutting


For the fabric covered buttons:
package of buttons intended to be covered in fabric (found mine at JoAnn fabrics)
fabric of your choice
magnets
glue gun


What you’ll do:


Start by trimming the metal piece with some heavy duty tin snips to your desired size. I ended up taking the glass from the frame, covering the metal with it, and tracing it so I had a clear guideline. Cutting the metal was a lot harder than I thought, especially since Blair wasn’t home and I have small muscles, but if I can do it, anyone can! Once cut, coat the metal with a thin layer of spray paint. Once dry, coat with another layer. Once the second coat is dry, insert into frame and hang up! I actually wrote the “Bon Appetit” with my trusty chalkpen, you can buy one here. Makes life so much easier with one of those!


For the magnets: Remove the wire where you would sew the fabric on, you can do this with your fingers or pliers. Cut out a square large enough to wrap the button. You want the fabric to be large enough to tuck into the small prongs. Pop on the back of the button until you hear a click. Make sure the fabric is taut. With your glue gun, attach a small magnet to the back. You can also use this same technique to make thumb tacks. The source below has some great step-by-step pictures. One day I will get better at documenting my work :)


Magnet Source here


Board Source here


Source

Previous
Next Post »