Drunken Italian Noodles


Thank you for bearing with me as I took the week off. We have some changes coming in our household and it was my very last week to enjoy some time with Blair. You see, Blair is moving to North Carolina for a temp-to-hire position at a biomedical science company. This decision came upon us very quickly and we were forced into making a tough decision. His hope is to gain some experience in the industry field since he is branching off from academics. He just finished his post-doctoral position at the University of Pennsylvania. His last day at Penn was on Wednesday and he starts his new position tomorrow.


It will be quite the adventure and it will be 3 months of his time. Fortunately, with me being a teacher, I should be able to spend a majority of the summer with him in NC. In the meantime, while I finish up school (the year ends mid-June in NJ), I will be challenging myself in the kitchen by cooking for one. Either that or just scaling back recipes, calling up mom for a meal, or eating a ton of leftovers. I will do my best to keep up with posting, but if I miss a day, you now know the reason why.


It will be back to a long-distance marriage for the time being, we were apart when we were first married and he was finishing up school. I never thought we would have to cross that bridge again and I am honestly not looking forward to being in a house by myself. We have several weekends planned out to see one another and if time continues to fly like it has, I will be just fine. There was many tears shed last night, but we know that this is the best for his future.


This recipe is definitely one that I could see myself whipping up for myself and enjoying it night after night. It is comforting and delicious. I happen to love Italian sausage and peppers so this was a nice way to enjoy that meal with a different twist. I had an extremely tough time finding the Pappardelle noodles that the recipe calls for. My suggestion to you is check your fresh pasta section first, I ended up getting mine freshly cut at a homemade pasta shop right down the street from our house. I could have very easily made my own as well, but this was a weeknight meal, no time for that! So make it for your family, make it for yourself, I promise you will enjoy it!



Drunken Italian Noodles


Ingredients:


Olive oil4 spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed1 large onion, quartered and sliced thinly1 ½ teaspoons salt1 teaspoon Italian seasoning4 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press½ teaspoon cracked black pepper1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced1 yellow bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced1 orange bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced½ cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped¼ cup fresh basil leaves, julienned, divided use8 ounces Pappardelle noodles, uncooked

What you’ll do:


Place a pot over medium high heat,  add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, crumble the spicy Italian sausage into the pan in small chunks (you want them fairly chunky). Brown for a few minutes on each side, once browned transfer the cooked meat using a slotted spoon to a plate or small bowl.


Add the sliced onion into the pan with the sausage drippings, and allow it to caramelize and become golden brown. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes, add more oil if necessary. Once the onion is caramelized, add in the salt, Italian seasoning, garlic, and black pepper, stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the sliced bell peppers and cook for a few minutes until tender. Add in the white wine, scraping up any brown bits, cook until the wine is reduced. Add in the diced tomatoes with juices, followed by the browned sausage. Stir until combined and let simmer until noodles are finished cooking.


Prepare the pappardelle noodles according to instructions on package; then, drain the noodles, and add them directly into the sauce. Use tongs to gently toss and combine the pappardelle noodles with the sauce and all of the ingredients in it. To serve toss with basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired.


Source: A Cozy Apron


Source

Previous
Next Post »